Forty.
40 years on this earth.
WOW.
I hope I get another 40 more.
And if I don't I want my family to know they are the reason I wake up in the morning do all the things and they are the reason I smile as I snuggle down to sleep at night. You know, that secret little smile you do as you lay down at night in the darkness when you are really freaking happy. My kids are my reason for that smile and the reason for my everything. EVERY SINGLE LITTLE THING.
So about being forty. Forty is a lot like being like 39 except its got a f*@king '4' at the beginning. See, I am open to this new era/new decade/new stage and so forth, its just going to take a little time...
Here are my forty things at 40 using some pictures that stir the heart from the past. Okay, pictures that stir the heart from the past on one particular memory card.
Which brings to me something something deeper. What is this life? Is it not, on some level, just an abundance of memory cards? Memory cards of both ordinary and extraordinary memories, collections of thoughts and feelings played out in pictures. Mundane moments and moments that are so joyous that you could just spread your arms to the sky and close your eyes and laugh as your eyes well up with tears. You know, those moments... I'm going to try and set myself up to have more of those moments for the next decade, because those are the ones that shape your life, those are the ones that you will remember and cherish when you're rocking in your rocking chair. But I don't have a rocking chair. I'm 'only' 40. Therefore, there are more awe-inspiring moments in time to be made people!
So back to my 40 things at 40. What's it all about? On my children's birthdays I fell into the organic and beautiful habit writing them a letter right here on this blog with as many things about them as their age at that moment in space in time. At one point I used this blog to show my family back home in England how we were doing and how beautifully the children were growing but as time went by Facebook, WhatsApp and FaceTime became 'things,' life got busier and this blog became a place to post these letters of love to my children only. I'm adding myself to the list this year. Because old people matter too!
My forty things at 40.
WOW.
I hope I get another 40 more.
And if I don't I want my family to know they are the reason I wake up in the morning do all the things and they are the reason I smile as I snuggle down to sleep at night. You know, that secret little smile you do as you lay down at night in the darkness when you are really freaking happy. My kids are my reason for that smile and the reason for my everything. EVERY SINGLE LITTLE THING.
So about being forty. Forty is a lot like being like 39 except its got a f*@king '4' at the beginning. See, I am open to this new era/new decade/new stage and so forth, its just going to take a little time...
Here are my forty things at 40 using some pictures that stir the heart from the past. Okay, pictures that stir the heart from the past on one particular memory card.
Which brings to me something something deeper. What is this life? Is it not, on some level, just an abundance of memory cards? Memory cards of both ordinary and extraordinary memories, collections of thoughts and feelings played out in pictures. Mundane moments and moments that are so joyous that you could just spread your arms to the sky and close your eyes and laugh as your eyes well up with tears. You know, those moments... I'm going to try and set myself up to have more of those moments for the next decade, because those are the ones that shape your life, those are the ones that you will remember and cherish when you're rocking in your rocking chair. But I don't have a rocking chair. I'm 'only' 40. Therefore, there are more awe-inspiring moments in time to be made people!
So back to my 40 things at 40. What's it all about? On my children's birthdays I fell into the organic and beautiful habit writing them a letter right here on this blog with as many things about them as their age at that moment in space in time. At one point I used this blog to show my family back home in England how we were doing and how beautifully the children were growing but as time went by Facebook, WhatsApp and FaceTime became 'things,' life got busier and this blog became a place to post these letters of love to my children only. I'm adding myself to the list this year. Because old people matter too!
My forty things at 40.
1. Sunflowers
2. My children's art
3. Our town
3. The first snow of the season
4. My family
5. Adventures
6. New places
7. Treats
8. Water reflections
9. Our 'special adventure'
10. Travel
11. Special moments
12. Daddy's love
13. Magical moments
14. Feeling like this upon waking...
15. Sunsets
16. Love
17. Beach days
18. That warm Christmas glow
19. Fall leaves of gold
20. Family
21. These three
22. Diva moments
23. Discovery
24. Creating art
25. Tending to nature
26. Contemplation
27. Finding rainbows in unexpected places
28. Really deep sleeps
29. Watching things bloom
30. Flowers
31. Letting loose
32. Sibling love
33. Sweet treats
34. Being silly
35. 'Our' tree (and my rock)
36. Living in the moment
37. Being made to feel like royalty
38. Having sisters
39. This wonderful world
40. Marching to the beat of my own drum













Comments