Ten

My dear sweet boy Caden,

My boy you are turning ten. At just the very sound of this surprises me. Happy, nostalgic wonder because you are amazing. Your are our amazing boy. Kind and loving, a great friend, a great son and a compassionate and gentle human.




Here are your 10 things at ten.

  1. Star Wars Lego. Still no. 1. No explanation needed.
  2. Snuggles. You still allow me to snuggle you at bedtime, you turn over after a little while now but our feet still touch, I hear your breathing grow heavy as you drift off to sleep. Don't let this stop, ever. 
  3. Lil' sis. You adore 'your piggy.' Yes you annoy each other a lot of the time, and you make a pained smile when she puts her arm around you for a picture, but you love her all the same. When you make that mischievous smile, with raised eyebrows and shake your head when she says something outrageous, all it screams to me is love.
  4. Birds. Something we both share is childlike excitement for birds. Last week there was three birds circling in the sky above our house when you got off the bus, they didn't look like the usual hawks we see. Both you and Violet were excited, you chased them down the street as lil' sis followed you waving the bird book. 'I think they're eagles,' you excitedly exclaimed, 'they have white tail feathers!!' We both knew they were not but I let you have your moment of thinking they just might be. But then something extraordinary happened at the weekend a few days later, we were driving on the freeway and a huge majestic bird crossed our path in the sky ahead, its wingspan was colossal. The bird turns and changes flight swooping lower as it passes our car to the right of us. A white head, white tail feathers, dark body. It was so close and clear as it sailed by in flight that we could see its face, its curled yellow beak and beady eye, "Its a bald eagle!!!" we both shouted together! Our first one, we all saw together. Now I know they are not that uncommon up here in New Hampshire, but for this British Girl and this Long Island boy it was a pretty amazing sight than our usual backyard birds. We kept smiling about it together all day. 
  5. Street buddies. We hear a ring-a-ling on the doorbell and you will get dressed as fast as lightning and run outside. A feat impossible on regular weekday mornings. Scooters or bikes, climbing the big rock, searching for frogs or snakes as the weather gets warm. All in a days work for the gang. I hope you will always remain great friends with the boys on our street. 
  6. Dad. Baseball cards, the Mets and WWE. This is the language of the boys in our house. You can talk about baseball and all the happenings like a pro. I love to listen, even if I don't know what you are talking about. You rarely say Daddy now, its been switched for a grown up sounding 'dad.'
  7. Your cousins. You love your four cousins and you are great with the little ones, so much patience. I love watching you enjoy them and chasing them around. We all can't wait for little Felix and Auntie Kate and Uncle Joel to visit this spring!
  8. New Hampshire. You love your new home and your wonderful new school and friends. I am so proud of the way you have settled in over the last 18 months, it makes me so happy to hear you love your new place after you were so nervous to move back then.
  9. Jumping. We have a bungee trampoline in the living room and you love the thing, you definitely bounce for an hour a day if you put it all together. If you're not bouncing for a day, I'm questioning if you're not feeling good.
  10. Fortnight on the X-box. Oh boy. You love it, I doubt Star Wars Lego will be in the top spot next year!

I love you my little, not-so-little man. Your presence makes me feel calm and happy, you have that kind of aura. Chill, with a little mischievous fun for good measure. 

You are the calm lagoon at the edge of our crazy sea,
you like your own space,
independent and free.

A free spirit, 
deep thinker and all-knowing, 
always wondering and always growing.

You are a creative force,
building and designing,
big idea thinking always underlying

Your are a friend to all
whether big or small,
respect to the worm on the driveway that your wheels avoid.

Lucky are those who
get to be around you,
your presence is beautiful like the dawn or when the sun sets.


Happy birthday young man,
you make us so proud.

I love you to the sun, the stars, the sea and the skies. 
The planets and the stars and the satellites that fly!

Love always,
Mom



Comments

Popular Posts