Is tomorrow today Mama?

This is what Caden asked at bedtime tonight. Tomorrow is his first day at school. He is a little nervous, very apprehensive and he is not smiling.

Last year, he reached for his teacher's hand, walked down the stairs and into school without looking back. I wiped away a few tears and waited for a few seconds, just in case he came running up those stairs wanting to go home or needing another hug. He didn't. So I smiled at the other moms, got into my car and drove home sobbing. My little boy had become 'big.'

A whole summer has gone by since the last day of pre-school and the thought of it has became a little scary again. New kids, new teachers, even a new building. Instead of learning his colors and shapes, he will be learning the beginnings of reading and writing. But the biggest change will be going from a two mornings a week to five afternoons a week. It will be a big change for him and a big change for Violet and I too. But in my heart of hearts I know he will do just fine away from us and although me we miss him, in a couple of weeks it will become the new normal. Still, the questions are running through my mind tonight. Will he find a friend? Will he be treated with kindness? Will he miss us? Will he utter his new phrase, 'blah, blah, blah...'? Let's hope not!

But tonight he needed a little extra comfort. Since he was feeling uneasy his mind was working overtime and he told me he has scary dreams when he is away from me at night. "REALLY scary," he confirmed. I think he just wanted to lay next to me before he started the next big chapter in his book. I told him there was nothing to be scared of, that it would be fine, even fun! But he looked so little and nervous under his quilt I decided to bring out the big guns. "Did I ever tell you about the magic blanket?" I asked, covering him up with a green handmade crocheted baby blanket. I told him that the bad dreams get stuck in the wool just like a spider web and that he would have nothing but good dreams as long as he has this blanket. He instantly looked comforted, gave me a sleepy smile and with that he was out.

Good luck my Little Bear. Take a deep breath my baby, you can do it!


Comments

Popular Posts