Wow, I got my wish!
So in my 'Goodbye 2010' post I openly wondered if the kids would sleep through the night in 2011. It seems someone was listening as 1 out of 2 kids are suddenly sleeping, wait for it...all night in their own bed!!
It all started with a VERY late night on Saturday, he was really tired and slept all night in his room without wandering into our room at some point during the night to kick Daddy out and snuggle with Mama like usual. We felt so well rested in the morning that I jumped on it!
On Sunday I vowed he would stay in his bed. We talked about it at bedtime and he was reluctant and kept asking 'But why Mama?' So at 1am when he wandered in, I took him by the hand and took him back before telling him he was doing a great job and tucking him in before going back to our bed. I usually have to lay next to him in his bed and sneak out. But we are trying to break old habits so not this time. After staying in his bed for somewhere between 10 and 15 minutes and listening to Violet's lullaby puppy he would reappear whispering something about not worrying because he hadn't woke up Violet and then holding my hand and pulling me. Somewhere around 2.20am he came back in saying 'I so proud of you Mama, I doing it! I sleepin' in my own bed!' I got him back into bed! 5 minutes later he came in singing a different tune 'Mama, I not perfect, I not doin' it, I not perfect Mama'. After another pep talk he slept for a half hour until he accidentally hit the toy he was snuggling with which loudly yawned...he came in laughing and telling me that it had made a funny noise and amazingly he went back to bed for the first time alone and slept until morning!
We made such a big deal about it when he came into our room around 7.30 all smiley and proud. I told him we would buy him his own green snuggle dog so Violet could reclaim her pink one.
Monday night he slept all night but came in at 5.30am to snuggle with us and we were too out of it to take him back.
Yesterday we bought him his own snuggle puppy much to Mike's dismay about buying a toy intended for 0-36mths. Hey he's only 33mths! Last night he came into our room and climbed in with Daddy at 11pm while I was snoozing on the couch downstairs, Daddy of course continued to sleep, that man could sleep through a fire alarm! But I heard the pitter patter of little feet across the ceiling and went up to remove him. He didn't protest and again slept again until morning.
We did it! He did it! And I never realised how much I was still mothering him when he slept with us. I would put the blankets back on him when he kicked them off and move his horizontal feet from pressing into me while he sprawled across the bed and shove him over when he felt compelled to share my pillow with me. And now I have more energy to deal with Violet's twice a night wakings :)
It all started with a VERY late night on Saturday, he was really tired and slept all night in his room without wandering into our room at some point during the night to kick Daddy out and snuggle with Mama like usual. We felt so well rested in the morning that I jumped on it!
On Sunday I vowed he would stay in his bed. We talked about it at bedtime and he was reluctant and kept asking 'But why Mama?' So at 1am when he wandered in, I took him by the hand and took him back before telling him he was doing a great job and tucking him in before going back to our bed. I usually have to lay next to him in his bed and sneak out. But we are trying to break old habits so not this time. After staying in his bed for somewhere between 10 and 15 minutes and listening to Violet's lullaby puppy he would reappear whispering something about not worrying because he hadn't woke up Violet and then holding my hand and pulling me. Somewhere around 2.20am he came back in saying 'I so proud of you Mama, I doing it! I sleepin' in my own bed!' I got him back into bed! 5 minutes later he came in singing a different tune 'Mama, I not perfect, I not doin' it, I not perfect Mama'. After another pep talk he slept for a half hour until he accidentally hit the toy he was snuggling with which loudly yawned...he came in laughing and telling me that it had made a funny noise and amazingly he went back to bed for the first time alone and slept until morning!
We made such a big deal about it when he came into our room around 7.30 all smiley and proud. I told him we would buy him his own green snuggle dog so Violet could reclaim her pink one.
Monday night he slept all night but came in at 5.30am to snuggle with us and we were too out of it to take him back.
Yesterday we bought him his own snuggle puppy much to Mike's dismay about buying a toy intended for 0-36mths. Hey he's only 33mths! Last night he came into our room and climbed in with Daddy at 11pm while I was snoozing on the couch downstairs, Daddy of course continued to sleep, that man could sleep through a fire alarm! But I heard the pitter patter of little feet across the ceiling and went up to remove him. He didn't protest and again slept again until morning.
We did it! He did it! And I never realised how much I was still mothering him when he slept with us. I would put the blankets back on him when he kicked them off and move his horizontal feet from pressing into me while he sprawled across the bed and shove him over when he felt compelled to share my pillow with me. And now I have more energy to deal with Violet's twice a night wakings :)
Comments